Forms of hosting services
A hosting solution includes hoarding and/or sharing given web content on a server administered by a web hosting vendor. There are various sorts of hosting services utilized for various ends, so let's have a glimpse at them. In that way, you can choose what you need, depending on whether you'd like to own a site, email mailbox accounts, or to share files with friends and colleagues.
- File hosting: a solution supplied by some web hosts, which lets you share immense files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archived documents, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its only function is to share files, since it does not support website uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either obtain a randomly generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to examine a roster of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to see .html or .php web site files in your web browser. Free-of-cost file hosting accounts are frequently supported by displaying advertisements beside the download links, while a timer compels you to wait for a specific period of time to observe them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you possess a paid file hosting account, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download instantly, and also there is no limit in regard to the download speed or the file size.
At the moment, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting providers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modern "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly unsuitable interpretation of the actual meaning of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting platform would allocate the load between independent packs of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are committed to attending miscellaneous web page hosting services (electronic mail, storage space, statistics, DNS, databases, webspace hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is just a variety of a data storage hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; specific distributors offer a hosting service for images solely. This hosting variant is appropriate if you wish to share a vast amount of images with comrades or colleagues since the service is typically free of charge. You will receive a random link for each and every image or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file hosting service, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be used for sites.
- Email hosting: a service dedicated to administering your mail address accounts. Some distributors offer hosting services for web sites, but do not supply an email service. If you wish to have a mail address with your domain name but do not want to keep a website, then the email hosting service is what you want. You can create mailbox accounts and manage them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The email hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this solution allows you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a given video clip, or you can embed the video in your website that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of availing of this approach in lieu of uploading the video file in a web hosting account is that the video file produces a certain amount of central processing unit load, so with a bunch of videos and several hundred web page visitors, you may have a problem with your webspace hosting quotas. Embedding the video file will enable you to manage as many videos as you want to without bothering about system quotas.
- Web site hosting: this is the service that you need if you would like to possess a site. To a certain degree, it contains all of the aforesaid hosting categories since, along with your web pages, you can also host images and files, you can have databases and mail accounts, upload video clips, and so on. At 100WebSpace, for example, you can take a peek at web hosting and dedicated hosting accounts that permit you to get all of the aforementioned solutions in one location. There may be restrictions based on the sort of hosting service that you've selected - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your website hosting plan may be better or worse compared with the usual e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are created for particular web content exclusively.